Monday, January 10, 2011

Moose Drool Brown Ale

Moose Drool, the best selling beer in Montana, is supposed to be "the best brown ale you've ever tasted". Honestly, I have had better (Newcastle, Dogfish Head...). But nonetheless the hype over Moose Drool is to be believed. It's a creamy, drinkable, and unquestionably tasty take on the American brown style suitable for beer snobs and Joe Sixpack types alike. Malty as heck, but not overly sweet, it's got the nutty bread notes and roasty bitterness I like in a good brown ale. The caramel and chocolate malts in particular deliver a rich, nicely lingering flavor. If Moose Drool pales slightly in comparison to the Dogfish Head Indian Brown, that's hardly a dishonor. I'm not a hop-head, but I have to admit I'd be more apt to give Moose Drool an A-rating if the hop profile were a little more aggressive. Still, though, this is a top five caliber brown ale and one I'll surely buy again.

No comments: