Wednesday, February 16, 2011

River Horse Oatmeal Milk Stout

I do believe that River Horse Oatmeal Milk Stout is the first craft beer from the state of New Jersey I've ever tried. That would make Jersey one-for-one in my book, for this is great stuff! I love roasty stouts this time of the year, but sometimes I'm just not in the mood for the strong coffee bitterness that usually characterizes the style. Enter the milk stout, which adds sweetness and pushes the bitterness into the background. I love milk stouts! I also love oatmeal stouts, which tend to be creamier than your typical stouts due to the oats. Needless to say, I surely like the idea of combining the milk stout with the oatmeal stout to create one sweet, creamy beer. And River Horse's Oatmeal Milk Stout hits the mark. Created as an adult twist on the kiddie snack standard of oatmeal cookies and milk, this is as drinkable as any stout I've ever had. The roasty chocolate and coffee notes are strong enough to make an impression, but the milk and oats are the real stars of the show. Certain elements of this beverage may bring to mind big, bold beers like the Founders Breakfast Stout. But while the FBS is something I'd only recommend to hardcore craft beer enthusiasts, River Horse's Oatmeal Milk Stout is way more accessible to the average beer drinker. It's light and refreshing and smooth going down, but you get enough of the roasty malts to recognize that it is a stout. It's not a particularly complex or fancy beer, but it's one you'll want to drink again and again. Come on: who doesn't love oatmeal cookies and milk?!

No comments: