Wednesday, May 18, 2011

And the winner is...

Beginning what I hope will become an annual tradition here at WFB, I will answer a question I’m sometimes asked: “What are your favorite beers?” Having made 45 posts over the course of six months, I’ve demonstrated that I like a lot of different beers. Although my position on this question is bound to change as I sample new brews and rediscover old ones, at this particular moment my overall Top Ten Beers are as follows.

10. Troegs Troegenator- a late winter/early spring seasonal, this criminally smooth double bock is my favorite offering off the formidable Troegs line.

9. Bass pale ale – a true classic. Drinkable, dependable, timeless.

8. Bell’s Hopslam – I’m not the world’s biggest IPA fan, but when I’m in the mood for an IPA this is the best I’ve ever had. I’m currently cellaring a few of this year’s crop to enjoy at a later date. Extraordinarily delicious.

7. Samuel Adams Boston Lager – often the only craft beer you can get at a restaurant. Because it’s so popular, beer snobs tend to forget what an exceptional beer this amber lager really is. Robust, balanced, and tasty, this is the beer that started microbrewing.

6. Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout – the tastiest Russian imperial stout I’ve ever had. The thought of drinking one of these again almost makes me wish it were winter!

5. Warsteiner Premium Dunkel – smoothest lager ever!

4. Founders Dirty Bastard – I know, I should have ranked it higher.

3. Bell’s Porter – not an “extreme” version of the porter style, but easy to drink and truly one of my all-time go-to beers.

2. Victory Baltic Thunder – Baltic porter is basically English porter on steroids. Smuttynose makes a great version as well, but Victory’s is still tops. A “big” beer in every respect, but crazy drinkable nonetheless.

1. Founders Breakfast Stout – This may never relinquish the #1 spot. EVER.

No comments: